Section:

DER FALL GLEIWITZ

THE GLEIWITZ CASE

Gerhard Klein
GDR, 1961, 67 Min

The tower of the radio station Gliwice in Upper Silesia was built between 1934 and 1935 by the German company Lorenz in cooperation with Siemens, Telefunken. It is a unique piece of engineering, made of larch wood beams and held together by brass screws. At 111 meters, it is the largest wooden structure in the world. But this is not the real reason how it made its mark in recent history.

Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen DEFA-Filmverleih

On the evening of August 31, 1939, the German radio station in Gliwice was attacked by Polish so called “Freischärlern” who were members of a voluntary military association. But, the attack was a provocation precisely prepared and skilfully staged by the Nazis. It was a top-secret action, which helped to blame the war on Poland and caused Adolf Hitler to make the famous declaration of war: " Since 5:45 a.m., the gun has been fired back". On September 1, the Second World War began. Six years later there were 43 million dead and Europe had become a landscape of ruins.   The feature film shot by the DEFA in 1961 describes the preparation and the course of the attack on the transmitter in a propaganda style. The statements of the former SS-Sturmbannführer Alfred Naujocks at the Nuremberg Trial provided the script for this story. The film premiered in the cinemas of the GDR on August 24, 1961 – a few days after the Wall was built in Berlin. KM

Filmformat
DCP | s&w / b&w
Drehbuch
Wolfgang Kohlhaase, Günther Rücker
Kamera
Jan Curik
Ton
Peter Sonntag, Karl Tramburg
Schnitt
Evelyn Carow
Ausstattung
Gerhard Helwig
Musik
Kurt Schwaen
Darsteller
Christoph Beyertt, Herwart Grosse, Manfred Günther, Jannjo Hasse, Wolfgang Kalweit, Georg Leopold, Rolf Ludwig
Produktion
DEFA-Studio für Spielfilme
Kontakt
Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen
DEFA-Filmverleih
Mirko Wiermann
Potsdamer Str. 2
10785 Berlin
Germany
+49 30 30 09 03 63 4
www.deutsche-kinemathek.de
defa-filmverleih@deutsche-kinemathek.de

Gerhard Klein - born in 1920 in Berlin, died 1970, in East Berlin. In the 1950s and 60s he was one of DEFA's most successful directors. In particular, his so-called "Berlin films", often made in collaboration with Wolfgang Kohlhaase, made him famous. THE GLEIWITZ CASE was his most successful film, also internationally.

Movies
GÄSTE AUS MOSKAU (1951, short)
ALARM IM ZIRKUS (1954)
EINE BERLINER ROMANZE (1956)
BERLIN – ECKE SCHÖNHAUSER … (1957)
SONNTAGSFAHRER (1963)
Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok